Google
 

Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Blog Is Back!


Well, It has been a while. As you know the laptop was out of commission for a few months. I broke it two days out from home time so, seven weeks on the road before I could get home to drop it off to have the necessary repairs made, then another six or seven weeks out on the road without it. Then when I finally did get it back...

It worked out for the best having broke it so early on after I headed out from home time. It gave my genius son just enough time to research what we needed, order the new screen, have it shipped and there waiting for me by the time I got back home.

Well, almost. I have a Dell computer and for some odd reason, Dell does not sell replacement screens. They'll install a new one for you if you ship the computer to them along with an arm and a leg. A bit too pricey for my blood. So my son had done his homework and found out Dell uses Toshiba or Samsung screens which can be ordered from just about any place computers are sold.

Well he tried all the usual places like Best Buy, Fry's, Circuit City and so on and found out they all charged about the same for a replacement screen... TOO MUCH! So a little poking around on the Internet and he found one for about half what all the name brand stores were charging. He ordered the screen and called me with the good news. About two weeks and my new screen will be shipped right to my door. I scheduled home time so I would arrive a day or two after the screen.

Two weeks goes by and no screen. I'm going to be home in a little more than 24 hours and no screen. My son sent an email to the shipper asking where the little bugger was at and no reply. Another and another email and finally they reply with "We no longer carry that model. A full refund has been returned to your credit card" Well that's just dandy! would have been nice if you had told us that when we placed the order!

All is not lost. He had a list of sites that sold my screen so, having learned a valuable lesson, we sent inquiries out to a couple to make sure they had one in stock before we tried that again.

The screen was just a bit more expensive at the other site so, I couldn't really justify paying for the overnight shipping. Yep, you guessed it. another five to six weeks without a computer. I left the computer at home so it would be there when the screen arrived and my son could do the repairs. Wouldn't you know it, the new screen made it from Pennsylvania to San Diego in record time. It arrived less than 48 hours after I pulled out.

I'm happy to report the new screen works perfectly. I've actually had it for some time now but, I kinda fell off the blogging wagon so to speak, I'm going to try to give it another go.

I purchased a laptop stand for the truck so hopefully we won't be doing this again anytime soon.

No comments: