Google
 

Monday, September 10, 2007

The New Daisy May

I delivered my load to Carrollton (Dallas), Tx the other day and was instructed to come to the yard to pick up a new load. Oh and while your here, go ahead and pick up your new truck. Your brand spankin' new truck. Woohoo

I loved the old Daisy May but, she was getting tired. Things were breaking or would just stop working on a pretty regular basis. It was getting to the point where I was spending more time in the shop than on the road.


In memory of a family friend who recently passed away, I decided to name the new truck Daisy May also. He kept rats as pets and named every single one Henry. When one would go off to rat heaven he would simply go out and acquire a new "Henry".

While I was transferring all my stuff from the old truck into the new truck dispatch called me and asked if I could take one of the new hires out to pick up an abandoned truck rather near one of my drops in Casa Grande, Az. I reluctantly said yes. I wasn't real sure if I wanted someone else driving my new baby or not.

I could of said no but, that would just make life difficult for dispatch. I could of said ok but, he's not driving. That would just make the trip take longer meaning I would have to have a passenger longer and I drive solo for reason. I like my space.

It turned out he had a lot of experience and knew what he was doing. We pretty much ran as a team so we weren't in each other's way a lot but, it is a pain trying to be quiet when you stop. Trying not to shut the door too hard, or take corners too hard. You can't play the radio too loud. You want the other driver to be well rested when it's his turn to drive. If he falls asleep because you kept him up all night long, he's wrecking your new truck. Not his.

We dropped off stop one of two last night and then headed over to find his truck.
The former driver wasn't exactly a clean freak or very concerned with basic maintenance. The truck wouldn't start because it had been sitting for a while and all the fuel drained out of the fuel filter and it had lost it's prime. Fortunatly I had all the proper tools to remedy this and we had it going in no time.

He headed off to the nearest truck stop with a shop to have at least three tires replaced and I'm off to deliver the other stop, SOLO. Just the way I like it. Then a quick jaunt over to Mesa, Az. to pick up a run going to Idaho.

No comments: