Google
 

Friday, September 21, 2007

Texas Again?

I know it's been a while since I had time to write. I've been on one tight run after another. I just don't have enough left in me at the end of the day to write, so I apologize to my regular readers for not updating very often.

The wife always says to just write where I'm at and where I'm going. What I'm hauling and stuff like that. But, I have a hard time not writing everything.

Well here goes everything. Since the last post I've taken a run up to Idaho. Dropped off there and immediately picked up another going to Florida. Didn't quite make it though. Ran out of hours 300 miles away from the receiver. Another driver took it the rest of the way.

So there I was in Georgia, out of hours and just about exhausted. When one of the load planners contacted me and asked how soon I could be at a shipper about 80 miles away. So much for getting some rest. As soon as the required 10 hour off duty period expired I was off (at two a.m.) to pick up the next one.

Which finds me here in Texas again. Like a moth to a flame. I seem to be drawn to Texas.

I hauled some pulverized clay material that's used to make paint to a paint factory in Temple Texas. So light and fine, a five gallon bucket of the stuff doesn't even weigh one pound. But, somehow they managed to cram 44,000 pounds of the stuff in my trailer.

The plant where they process the big chunks into this fine powder was an interesting place. everything was covered in this yellow dust. Including the workers. I wonder what the inside of their cars look like?

I delivered this morning without being pre-planned for the next load. That's the first time in a long time that has happened. So I don't know where or when I'm going next.

For the first time in weeks, I don't have another load waiting for me as soon as I'm done. That's ok with me. I could use a little time to recharge the batteries. They tend to get run down a little when you're running seven days a week for weeks at a time.

No comments: