Google
 

Friday, April 17, 2009

South Dakota Here I Come!

I've been at this trucking thing for nearly three years now and yet somehow, I've never been to South Dakota. Ive been on all four sides of it but, have yet to set foot within that state.

It was a goal of mine to try and hit all 48 contiguous states within my first year of driving but, when that didn't happen I started counting months. When the months get to be too many, you start counting years. Kinda like when a toddler gets old enough to hold up three fingers, you stop saying how many months old they are.

I've gotten really close. I delivered to the west side of Sioux City, Ia just across the river from South Dakota a year or so ago. My wife probably still remembers me saying something like I could sneak over there and tell SRT I missed my turn or something.

Of course, as fate would have it, my dispatch sent me another load 300 miles away with only five hours to get there, back the same way I just came from. No time to lolly gag around on the other side of the river just to say I've been there.

Well that all changed today when they sent me a sweet run from Washington state to Georgia. Routed down the usual route through Oregon, Idaho, Utah...

Ahh yes Utah. I love Utah. It's one of the most beautiful, scenic states to drive through any time of the year. Right at the top of my list.

But today I love Utah for another reason. You see they have this law that you have to have a license plate on your trailer or they get to fine you 350 dollars. Seeing as this trailer doesn't have a license plate, I fired off a quick message to dispatch to remind them of this little fact, and seconds later a new route.

So now instead of heading South to Utah and turning East in Salt lake, I get to head East through Montana and straight down the middle of South Dakota before eventually making that turn to the South.

How does that song go... Oh yes... I fought the law and the law won.

No comments: