Google
 

Monday, October 1, 2007

It's Like I Never Left

I've been all over the lower half of the east coast, except Florida, and back to the terminal about three times. But, My luck finally ran out and I'm Back in Texas. Given the proximity of our terminal, it's a 50/50 shot that you'll be going into texas.

Ironically I started and ended up at the same place this past week. Last time I was in the yard, I picked up a load from Firestone Roofing Products, that went to South Carolina. Two days ago I picked up a load out of Virginia that went right back to Firestone.

I picked up from a place that turns coal into coal dust. There was a small black dog there who I'm not sure if he was already black, or if he got that way from all the coal dust in the air sticking to his fur.

I got out of my truck to make sure I was centered in the loading dock and just about fell over him so, being the softie that I am, of course I had to play with him. Not the brightest dog though. I picked up a scrap piece of wood and I could just tell he wanted me to throw it. Ok. I throw it and the dog goes and brings it back right? Not!
No he would go and get it all right but, then he would take off with it. Where he went I don't know but, after about an hour of this I couldn't find anymore wood to throw. I told him I would be happy to keep on playing our little game if he would simply go and get one of the pieces he had stashed and put it back into play.

I went and sat down to wait out the remainder of the loading process and he comes over and wants to be pet now. So, I start to pet him and ew! He's sticky! I look down at my hands and they too are now covered in this black, sticky goo. Glad I keep handy wipes on the truck.

I didn't notice this till the next day but the backside of the shorts I was wearing that night were now black too.

Since they didn't have anything planned for me after dropping of the dreaded black goo I headed to our terminal only about 40 miles away for a nice relaxing evening. Only once I got there They had other plans. Turns out another driver had run out of hours and couldn't finish his run into Dallas.

So here I am in Dallas again... It's like I never left!

No comments: