Google
 

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Down In Flames

Up two hours before the sun this morning. Not a bad drive into the receiver. I was practically the only thing on the road for a while. I got more and more company as I got closer to Sacramento, but never really hit any traffic which was my main concern when I went to bed last night.

Unloading was a little brutal. Had to unload myself and it was hot! Usually we never touch the product. My company is of the belief that paying lumpers is less costly than paying worker's comp claims. Plus the loss of a driver for an undetermined amount of time. Unfortunately lumpers were unavailable at this stop.

In 13 months of driving, this is only the second time I've had to unload my trailer and the first time was by choice. Rather than wait nine hours til the lumpers started for the day, I unloaded my own trailer and got out of there in two.

After a real good work out I headed over to stop two. It doesn't deliver til tomorrow, but you never know Sometimes they'll take you a day early.

I could of stayed up in Sacramento and easily covered the distance to San Jose in the morning, but I want to go home, and if there's a twinkle of a chance they'll unload me today, I had to at least try.

I checked in at receiving only to be told what I already knew. It doesn't deliver until tomorrow. But... the person who has the appointment for today isn't here yet.
OK. I'm listening. They said they would wait two hours and if he wasn't here by then, they would take me instead.

Wouldn't you know it... 15 minutes before I get to back into the dock and start the unloading process, guess who shows up. Grrr.

I was already putting my seatbelt on when the guy from receiving came out to give me the bad news. Sorry, but you'll have to come back tomorrow. Shot down in flames...

Well at least it won't be too hard to find tomorrow. But it does now rule out the possibility of gettin home tomorrow. Maybe Saturday.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hmmm...not that I want you to unload and get hurt... but doesn't that mean more money???

Haha! Love ya!!! See you soon!!!